Peruvian Adventure: Feb 7th to Mar 1st, 2013

Friday, March 1, 2013

03/01 - back to Los Estados Unidos

We gained three hours on the flight back to San Francisco, which was scheduled to leave Lima at 1:15am, but was delayed until nearly 3:00am. [So it turned out we didn't have to rush away from the cell-phone hunt, after all. But, if the plane had boarded as scheduled, we would have barely made it through security in time.]

Jim slept for most of the flight, but I couldn't. I cried on and off throughout, distracting myself with the first 7 episodes of Mad Men. They fed us something-- an omelette. It wasn't as good as the other airplane food I had had. We got off in California around 9am.

It took about an hour to get through all the airport stuff and out into the world. Jim still has about 70 soles, because we forgot to change them before we left Peru, and SFO wanted to charge a big fee. The truck was still where we left it, in a long-term airport parking lot, which cost Jim almost $400 for 3 weeks (ouch).

Since I can't drive stick, he drove us all the way back to Somes Bar. That's a 7-hour drive, but I think it took us about 9, since we made a few stops. I slept on-and-off for most of the car ride. I am so incredibly good at sleeping in the car. If I'm not driving, I'm usually sleeping. Jim stopped for fast food twice. I ate 2 McDonald's double cheeseburgers, then a Burger King chicken sandwich a few hours later. I was so miserable about my phone. I hated myself and just wanted to sleep forever, and I knew a belly-full of greasy food would help me do it. When we got to Arcata, we picked up some to-go sushi at Tomo, and I got a hot toddy, made with Crown Royal Maple, at a nearby bar. Jim was still mad at me.

I slept most of the way back to Somes. We ate sushi with Sam, who had been staying at Jim's place the whole time we were gone. Then we went straight to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment