Peruvian Adventure: Feb 7th to Mar 1st, 2013

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

02/12 - Arequipa

The night bus gave us a sandwich. I saved mine for morning.

We arrived in Arequipa around 7:30am, got a cab to the touristy part, and had breakfast on the balcony of a restaurant overlooking the Plaza de Armas. Jim had a panqueque con platanos, and I had my first maté de coca. In Peru, I am fairly tall, but all the tables are incredibly high for me. I don't understand it.
We walked until we found Hospedaje el Caminante Class. It had a lovely courtyard dining area, and small, sunny lounging space on the roof. Our room had one double bed and a set of bunk beds. It was spacious, and even had a tiny balcony with french doors, overlooking Calle Santa Catalina. The area of Arequipa that we stayed in was very clean, bright, and colonial. And it was sunny all the time.

In the afternoon, we did some wandering and shopping. We got tiny Pisco Sours at one of the shops in the beautiful alley behind the Cathedral. The guy overheard us talking about how good (yet small) they were, so he gave us a third one for free. Then I thought I lost my cell phone, and was extremely relieved to find I had left it in the hotel room. The real loss would come much later, when I had hundreds more photos to lose.

In the evening, we walked a little farther from the tourist area and found a tiny chifa, where we got chaufa con pollo, which came with the most delicious sauce-- some kind of spicy, creamy cilantroey thing. Mmmmm. Huge meal, for ~$2.50.

No comments:

Post a Comment